Characteristics of Mental Health
Mental health is more than just the absence of mental illness. It includes how you feel about yourself and how you adjust to life events. However, the National Mental Health Association cites 10 characteristics of people who are mentally healthy.
- They feel good about themselves.
- They do not become overwhelmed by emotions, such as fear, anger, love, jealousy, guilt, or anxiety.
- They have lasting and satisfying personal relationships.
- They feel comfortable with other people.
- They can laugh at themselves and with others.
- They have respect for themselves and for others even if there are differences.
- They are able to accept life’s disappointments.
- They can meet life’s demands and handle their problems when they arise.
- They make their own decisions.
- They shape their environment whenever possible and adjust to it when necessary.